[ghc-steering-committee] Urgent: exension life cycle proposal

Vladislav Zavialov vlad.z.4096 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 12:18:41 UTC 2023

I agree that we need a categorisation of extension language flags, but I'm
not convinced that {Stable, Unstable, Deprecated, Legacy} is the right set
of labels. In fact, I wouldn't want to commit to any particular
categorisation before we actually go through all the extensions in GHC and
see for ourselves that they can be adequately categorized according to the
proposed system.

The proposal says "classifications of individual language extensions will
be left to a future proposal". Well, I am skeptical that this separation
makes sense. I would much prefer if we were discussing a concrete
categorisation proposal, not just a set of four labels whose implications I
can't fully grasp.

Vlad