[ghc-steering-committee] #536: Type-level literals as a separate language extension

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Thu Oct 19 07:25:56 UTC 2023

I don't think that the non-forking principle informs completely on the
debate at hand. Even if the extensions are monotonic increases on the
current language, even if an extension will either be merged into the next
GHC20xx or scrapped, the question of splitting an extension in two still
has validity. You may say: well, what if we adopt the type-level literals
without adopting data kinds?

I must, at any rate, apologise: it's my role to get to a resolution on the
question of extension policy. This is going slow, and I've paused the
process during the recent discussion on stability (I'm currently at
capacity for committee work). We definitely can't wait until the policy has
been well-defined before we can make a decision on the proposal at hand.

I said I was unconvinced the last time around. I haven't changed opinion,
but I'm happy to revise if presented with a sufficiently strong motivation.

Arnaud Spiwack
Director, Research at https://moduscreate.com and https://tweag.io.