[ghc-steering-committee] Stability

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 09:52:45 UTC 2023

> But here's the thing: I claim that GR{1-3} aren't going to solve the
> stability problem. I'm confident about this because they're already the
> policy. And while it's not entirely impossible to imagine that writing them
> down more prominently will solve the problems that we have, I don't believe
> we should count on it.

I agree.  They won't solve it.   (Incidentally, it's not just GR{1-3} but
also the categorisation into stable/experimental, which GR{1-3} is
predicated on.)   But I think they will help.  You are sceptical, but
that's fine.  We'll see.  Provided they are not harmful [and I don't think
you are saying that it is] we can just adopt them and move on.

Completely-solving a complex, multi-faceted problem is hard.   But that
should not discourage us from making incremental progress towards that
goal.   The base-library splitting proposal (now agreed) is another piece
of incremental progress that does not solve the problem, but will help.

I am not against (in addition) trying to identify particularly painful
problems in the past, and seeing what their root causes were.  I just don't
want to de-rail making incremental progress at the same time.

I don't like to see you unhappy, Arnaud!

Simon