[ghc-steering-committee] #571: -Wsevere, Shepherd: Adam (rec: accept)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Oct 9 15:57:04 UTC 2023

Hi,

Am Montag, dem 09.10.2023 um 16:53 +0100 schrieb Simon Marlow:
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2023 at 15:22, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
> >
> > That is my understanding, yes.  Oleg, who suggested this originally (I
> > just wrote it up) says (see motivation section of the proposal)
> >
> > > not having -Wsevere=missing-methods by default essentially prevents
> > > any (true) breakage assessment of adding new, non-defaulted members
> > > to existing type-classes.
>

> If the goal is to do a breakage assessment, couldn't you make the
> change to your library and then build all of Hackage with `--ghc-
> option=-Werror=severe`?

Not if Hackage already fails with -Werror=severe even without the
change under assessment. But we should ask Oleg on Github, I am just
relaying what I thought his motivation was.

Should we send this back for revision? It seems there is plenty of
discussion going on here and on github. (Is there an equivalent of
Wadler’s law about “compiler flags” instead of “whitespace”?)

  mail at joachim-breitner.de