[ghc-steering-committee] #571: -Wsevere, Shepherd: Adam (rec: accept)

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 08:17:51 UTC 2023

I don't think this breaking change (namely making -Werror=severe the
default) meets the bar for "compelling reason" according to GR2 of our
proposed policy, so I'm voting against. It's certainly not a bug or a
security hole. Maybe you could argue that it's a design flaw in the
language, but I'm not all that convinced. It's an unforced breaking change
in my opinion. If we add "makes it more difficult to shoot yourself in the
foot" a compelling enough reason to break GR1 then I think we've weakened
it significantly.

Here's another problem: if we make -Werror=severe the default, then any new
warning added to -Wsevere is a new breaking change, and we would have to
judge it to be compelling enough by GR2. If we don't make -Werror=severe
the default, then we're not restricted in what we can add to -Wsevere.
Probably -Wsevere would end up being more useful as a result.

Cheers
Simon