[ghc-steering-committee] #583: HasField redesign, rec: accept

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Tue Oct 3 07:21:07 UTC 2023

The backwards compatibility impact here is really extremely small,
because OverloadedRecordUpdate is essentially unusable at present (as
well as being explicitly documented as subject to change), so nobody
uses it. While someone could implement a warning when the extension is
turned on to say that it will change in the future, I'm not sure I see
much point.

I used https://hackage-search.serokell.io/?q=OverloadedRecordUpdate to
look for occurrences of OverloadedRecordUpdate on Hackage, and I found
precisely one pair of packages using it "for real":

large-anon-0.3.0
large-records-0.4

These packages were created by my colleague Edsko in discussion with me,
and will need to be amended when the proposal is implemented, because
they want to take advantage of the new functionality.

The other packages on Hackage containing the string
OverloadedRecordUpdate are tools that reference all extensions:

Cabal-syntax-3.10.1.0
extensions-0.1.0.0
fourmolu-0.14.0.0
ghc-9.6.3
ghc-boot-th-9.6.3
ghc-exactprint-1.7.0.1
ghc-hs-meta-0.1.2.0
ghc-lib-9.6.2.20230523
ghc-lib-parser-9.6.2.20230523
hackport-0.8.4.0
haskell-src-meta-0.8.12
hindent-6.1.0
hlint-3.6.1
ormolu-0.7.2.0

plus there are a few references in comments:

lifx-lan-0.8.2
optics-core-0.4.1.1
pvector-0.1.1
record-dot-preprocessor-0.2.16
tztime-0.1.1.0

While I generally agree with the "don't abruptly break existing code"
position, in this case I don't think there is code out there to break.

Adam

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/

Registered in England & Wales, OC335890
27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England