[ghc-steering-committee] GHC Steering Committee Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Mar 16 13:59:05 UTC 2023

Dear Committee,

it’s not quite yet spring time. But it is always GHC Steering Committee
time. So let’s see where we are.

What has happened since the last one update (January 19)?

 * We decided not to have GHC2023.

 * Arnaud took on the daunting task of writing down more concrete policies
   about what role language Extensions have these days, where the committee
   wants to steer the language to, and what implications that has for our work.

 * We welcomed Moritz Angerman as a new member (and changed the bylaws
   a bit to make that possible)

   Tom stepped down from the committee. Thanks Tom!

 * we were asked to review these proposals:

   #330: Decorate exceptions with backtrace information, rec: accept
   #536: Type-level literals as a sep language extension, Shepherd: Vlad

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:

   #540: parallelism semaphores, rec: accept
   #330: Decorate exceptions with backtrace information, rec: accept
   #536: Type-level literals as a sep language extension, rec: accept

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision

   #270: Support pun-free code
   #515: Relaxing HasField constraints
   #562  Make Symbol a newtype over String (originally #546)
   #529: Template Haskell quotes as patterns

 * we decided about the following proposals

   #555: Higher Order Patterns in Rewrite Rules (accept)
   #556: fix signature scoping #448 (accept)

 * we fast-tracked two amendments to existing proposals:

   #573: No #. label
   #576: Warning Category syntax

We currently have to act on the following 6 proposals, 4 down.
Good trend, let’s continue it! (Note that we sent 4 back to revision,
which means they’ll come back…)

## Waiting for committee decision

#532: Clean up implicit binding, Shepherd: Arnaud
      2022-08-23: Assigned to Arnaud
      Sent back for revision
      2022-11-27: Resubmitted
      2022-12-14: Arnaud recommends acceptance
      2023-01-17: Arnaud picks up the conversation again.
      Silence since.

#512: NoFieldSelectors as datatype annotation, Shepherd: Vlad
      2022-09-03: Assigned to Baldur
      2022-10-02: Reassignd to Vlad
      2022-11-30: Vlad recommends rejection
      Turned into a discussion of Modifiers, and then
      into silence.  Where are we on this one?

#540: jsem parallelism semaphores, Shepherd: Eric
      2022-11-08: Assigned to Adam
      2022-11-17: Re-assigned to Eric
      2023-02-12: Eric recommends acceptance
      Lots of discussion on the list and on Github.
      Is this near conclusion, or should it go back to revision?

#536: Type-level literals as a sep language extension, Shepherd: Vlad
      2023-02-16 Assigned to Vlad
      2023-03-06 Vlad recommends acceptance
      Some hesitancy in the committee to introduce this extension,
      the ongoing policy clarification process might guide us,
      but maybe we can resolve this earlier?

#330: Decorate exceptions with backtrace information, Shepherd: Vlad
      2023-03-06: Vlad recommends acceptance.
      Some active discussion on Github. Is this steering towards
      a conclusion?

## Waiting for shepherd recommendation

#526: Applicative Comprehensions, Shepherd: Simon M
      2022-10-08: Assigned to Simon M
      Simon, can you cast your recommendation?

  mail at joachim-breitner.de