[ghc-steering-committee] #596: sized literals in Show, rec: accept

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Jun 29 06:20:59 UTC 2023

Dear committee,

Krzysztof Gogolewski in
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/596
amends the sized literals proposal so that GHC uses the syntax
42#Int8 instead of (intToInt8# 42#) in the stock derived Show instances
for data types with sized unboxed numbers.

Implementation is also ready.

Now that we have a syntax for these literals it’s clear that we want to
use them in the show instances.

There is no risk of breaking Show-Read-roundtripping, as Read instances
cannot be derived (at the moment).

This is a change in behavior of Show, so we should think for a moment
how this affects stability. But none of the libraries in libraries/, in
particularly not base, are affected by this change, according to
Krzysztof.

So I recommend to accept this.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de