[ghc-steering-committee] Call for votes: Shall we have GHC2023

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Jan 22 12:40:11 UTC 2023

Hi Committee,

as ~threatened~ announced, I’m calling for a vote on whether we should
proceed to define the next GHC20xx _now_, as GHC2023, or wait for a
year.

Judging from the silence around the PR for GHC2023 I deduce that the
appetite for GHC2023 is generally low, and will not bother you with
complicated looking questions about which extensions might make GHC2023
worth it in an attempt to parallelize the “whether” with the “what”.

Instead, please cast your vote until Apri 5 (but preferrably earlier)
on the question:

  Should we proceed towards GHC2023?

(If yay wins we’ll refine #559 and vote on that. If nay wins, I’ll stay
quiet until next fall.)

I am intentionally not asking for a fixed cadence at this point. We
have made but one release so far, and it seems presumptious to try to
predict what makes most sense next year, or the next four years to
come.

(I’ll follow up with my vote and justification separately.)

  mail at joachim-breitner.de