[ghc-steering-committee] GHC Steering Committee Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Jan 19 16:10:59 UTC 2023

Dear Committee,

it seems we need a reminder what’s on our respective plates, so prompted by
Simon let’s do another status update. I strongly assume you are always reading
these (rare!) emails, especially the second half that lists all our collective
or individual TODO items.

So what has happened since the last one?

 * The discussion whether we should have GHC2023 did not take off really,
   and forked into a somewhat useful, but unfinished fundamental discussion about
   the role of extensions, over at
   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_-hPh8BRhKNlzM0dC1IRSmjCqPym9mXx9NjC7jUlpRQ/edit

   I’ll kick off a vote about GHC2023 in a few days (and by popular request I’ll
   simplify it to the simple question of whether we should have it at all; I get
   the feeling that my preference for frequent-over-big-changes is not shared and
   no need to vote on individual extensions if it won’t come that too)

 * we were asked to review these proposals:

   #523: let in types and patterns, Shepherd: Adam
   #555: Higher Order Patterns in Rewrite Rules, Shepherd Joachim

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:

   #512: NoFieldSelectors as datatype annotations, Rec: reject
   #270: Support pun-free code. Recommendation: accept
   #546: Make Symbol a newtype over String, Rec: accept
   #555: Higher Order Patterns in Rewrite Rules, Rec: accept

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision

   #330: Decorate exceptions with backtrace information

 * we decided about the following proposals

   #541: Warning pragma with categories  (accept)
   #522: Or patterns (accept)

 * the authors retracted their proposal

   #523: let in types and patterns, Shepherd: Adam

We currently have to act on the following 10 proposals, two down
from last time, but still high:

## Waiting for committee decision

#270: Support pun-free code, Shepherd: Chris
      2022-01-01: Assigned to Chris
      2022-08-24: Chris suggests acceptance
      2022-12-04: Chris suggests acceptance again
      2022-12-15: Last message
      I’ve paged out where we are on this one.
      Something with ExplicitNamespaces?

#532: Clean up implicit binding, Shepherd: Arnaud
      2022-08-23: Assigned to Arnaud
      Sent back for revision
      2022-11-27: Resubmitted
      2022-12-14: Arnaud recommends acceptance
      Arnaud just picked up the conversation again.
      Please make it converge.

#515: Relaxing HasField constraints
      2022-08-01: Assigned to Tom
      2022-08-10: Tom suggests acceptance
      Tom, please drive this forward!

#512: NoFieldSelectors as datatype annotation, Shepherd: Vlad
      2022-09-03: Assignd to Baldur
      2022-10-02: Reassignd to Vlad
      2022-11-30: Vlad recommends rejection
      Turned into a discussion of Modifiers.
      Where are we on this one?

#555: Higher Order Patterns in Rewrite Rules, Shepherd Joachim
      2023-01-10: Acceptance recommended
      Mostly silence. I expect to merge this in a week or so.

#546: Make Symbol a newtype over String, Shepherd: Chris
      2022-11-18: Assigned to Chris
      2022-09-12: Authors gave up
      2023-01-19: Chris revived (as #562) and rec’s acceptance

## Waiting for shepherd recommendation

#526: Applicative Comprehensions, Shepherd: Simon M
      2022-10-08: Assigned to Simon M

#529: Template Haskell quotes as patterns, Shepherd: Adam
      2022-11-16: Assigned to Adam
      (should this be “needs revision”)?

#540: parallelism semaphores, Shepherd: Eric
      2022-11-08: Assigned to Adam
      2022-11-17: Re-assigned to Eric

#556: fix signature scoping #448, Shepherd: Richard
      2022-11-27: Assigned to Richard

  mail at joachim-breitner.de