[ghc-steering-committee] #555: Higher Order Patterns in Rewrite Rules, rec accept

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Thu Jan 19 15:31:24 UTC 2023

Hello all, I'm back for real this time,

The proposal (link https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/555
) is quite reasonable. I think that, in general, higher order patterns are
an uncontroversial extension to rewrite rules (it could be extended further
but if I remember correctly, there are choices there).

I've got a question though: is the following rewrite rule something I can
write in Haskell today?

```
{- RULES … forall f g. map (\x -> f (g x)) = map f . map g
```

In this rule `f (g x)` is not a pattern (because `g` is not rigid). And it
is not clear to me how purely syntactic unification and pattern unification
interact.

I think the automatic addition of lambdas is likely to be fairly innocuous
(despite the fact that it may change `undefined` into, say, `\x y ->
undefined y x`): it happens under lambdas already, so it's unlikely to
effectively change the behaviour of program unbeknownst to the rule author.
I'm sure someone will eventually manage to be bitten by it. But I think
that it's an ok compromise.

/Arnaud