[ghc-steering-committee] #540: parallelism semaphores, recommendation: *accept*

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Tue Feb 14 07:59:12 UTC 2023

I would like to oppose the argument that “it's already implemented” is a
strong argument for this court. It certainly helps evaluate feasibility,
but we are supposed to evaluate whether something is a good idea.

That being said, considering that
1/ better solutions are hard to design (and even hard to prove better, as
there is not really a standard job server outside of Macos)
2/ it is believed that almost no user will have to use this command
themselves (we expect `-jsem` to be called in a handful of places, such as
in the Cabal tool and possibly in the Stack tool)

I think the benefit will largely outweigh the costs, and am in favour.