[ghc-steering-committee] GHC2024 committee deliberation

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Dec 4 13:24:18 UTC 2023

Hi,

Am Montag, dem 04.12.2023 um 12:40 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones:

>  * I'm happy for us to define GHC2024 now.

Yay :-)

>  * The votes were interesting.  I would also love to see stats on
> extension usage, derived from trawling Hackage. I'm sure this has
> been done, probably many times.  Do we have data?

Not at the moment. Any volunteers to gather them?

>  * Several features were suggested that got more votes than the ones
> currently in the GHC2024 proposal. Why exclude them from our
> committee voting?    E.g. RecordWildCards seems popular.

Nobody actively nominated them as part of
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/613

I guess you get different result is you ask in what place “please
actively nominate what you want to see” and in another, more crowded
place “here is a long list of option, just tick what you like”.

In the concrete case of RecordWildCards there are also strongly held
believes against it (it violates the LSP). Maybe that’s why nobody
nominated it.

(I personally like to use it occasionally, but that’s the reason why
_I_ wouldn’t push for it.)

  mail at joachim-breitner.de