[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #601: Extension lifecycle, Shepherd: Simon PJ

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 15:42:30 UTC 2023

Dear GHC steering committee

A month ago I wrote to you concerning GHC Proposal 601 about GHC extensions
<https://github.com/david-christiansen/ghc-proposals/blob/extension-lifecycle-proposal/proposals/0000-extension-lifecycle-framework.md>
.

We propose a categorization scheme for Haskell language extensions. This
> scheme is simple, in that there are few categories that are described in
> terms of the user-relevant aspects, and it is actionable, in that it
> suggests concrete changes to the warning system of GHC that allow users to
> express their own risk tolerance and get guidance as they upgrade their
> compiler

It's holiday time I know, but still, I did not get a single reply.  Is that
because you all love it or you all hate it?  RSVP!

I propose acceptance, modulo a few clarifications which I have posted on
the discussion thread.

Please reply, yea or nay.

Simon