[ghc-steering-committee] Language Extension Policy – Round 2

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Apr 28 11:20:05 UTC 2023

Hi,

Am Freitag, dem 28.04.2023 um 09:17 +0100 schrieb Simon Marlow:
> Good! I'm glad we're discussing where this alternative design leads.
> I'm not sure whether I'm 100% advocating for it - it may be that
> ultimately it's not enough of an improvement over extension flags to
> warrant the churn. But I think it's worthwhile to explore it. (to be
> clear I don't think the idea of using warnings was mine, I forgot who
> originally suggested it but it came out of the discussion on the GDoc
> we had earlier)

I believe it was Richard’s.

I also think this is a worthwhile discussion, even if the outcome would
be that the design is desirable, but not worth the transition. What’s
appealing about it is the pivot of perspective:  No longer 2^n
different Haskell-like languages, but rather one evolving Glorious
Haskell, plus tools that help those who want to restrict themselves for
whatever reason.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de