[ghc-steering-committee] Language Extension Policy – Round 2

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 12:23:20 UTC 2023

> In this next round, I want us to give our opinion, on each of these
> use-cases, on whether we believe that this use-case is best served by
> extension. My goal, in this round, is not necessarily to build
> consensus for a policy, but to discover where there is consensus, and
> where there is controversy, so that we can discuss the relevant
> use-cases in more detail.

I went down the list and in every case I thought "yes, language extensions
allow a user to do this, if they want".   I struggled to answer your
questions.  Eg

   - X1 is this a use-case GHC should support.  Well it already supports
   it.   I suppose we could debate which are active goals and which are
   accidental, but before burning the midnight oil on that debate I'd love to
   know where this is going.
   - X2 is this use case best served by extensions.  When you say "best
   served" you imply that, in each case, there is a well-defined alternative
   or alternatives that could be better.  But I don't know what are the
   alternatives that we should be comparing with.
   - X3 Does GHC20xx help?  What do you mean by "GHC20xx".  I think you
   mean "The occasional release of a new flag, GHC2025, say, that implies a
   bunch of others.   That seems a rather different debate, but in general I
   think the idea is a good one, if not done too frequently

I feel as if I'm not being very helpful, which probably means I'm missing
the point somehow!

Simon