[ghc-steering-committee] Language Extension Policy – Round 1'

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Mon Apr 17 07:02:16 UTC 2023

(sorry, it's been a busy week, next email thread comes out today, or
tomorrow at the latest)

Joachim:

> From a user-point of view, it seems you could possible merge 1, 4, 5,
> 6, 7 and 8 as “Developer wants access to features not on by default”.
> The developer probably doesn’t really care _why_ the extension is not
> on by default, they just want to use it when they want to use it :).

At the end of the day, an extension is either a feature that is off by
default and can be turned on, or on by default and can be turned off. I
don't think we've said much when we've reduced the users' behaviour to that
level. So I wanted this list to be specifically about the why. And I think
the users do care. GHC Proposals say “I want a new extension to support X”,
I wanted to be as exhaustive as possible to then be able to try and then
delineate the X-s that we intend language extensions to support.