[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #270: Support pun-free code. Recommendation: accept

Richard Eisenberg lists at richarde.dev
Thu Sep 8 12:38:29 UTC 2022

Yes, I've been thinking about n+k-patterns, too. And datatype contexts! As in: are removal of these features about style? or something else? It's hard to say. So perhaps I walk back my "utterly agnostic about style" comment. (Indeed, the language itself cares deeply about something which most languages consider just style: indentation.)

I don't know how to balance these different aspects of our work, or how to keep everyone (or most) happy while being transparent and honest.

I mean, I personally think punning is bad style, which is why I support this proposal. But I also think that using snake_case for internal identifiers and camelCase for exported ones is a brilliant convention. Does that mean I want a warning when someone fails to do this? No. (Actually, that warning would be absolutely lovely. But I don't think it would have nearly enough support to make it a good idea.)

So maybe we return to saying more verifiable statements: We commit to supporting punning code into perpetuity, and so authors who want to continue to pun are welcome to do so. I'm quite happy committing to that.

Richard