[ghc-steering-committee] GHC2023

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Nov 23 16:51:54 UTC 2022

Hi,

encouraged by Arnaud reports about Rust editions, and also in light of
the ExplicitNamespaces “bug” in GHC2021, I’m now starting a proposal to
define GHC2023.

Please see
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/559
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/joachim/ghc2023/proposals/0000-ghc2023.rst

The proposal text succinctly tries to alleviate worries that this is
“too soon”, and gives motivation for the nominated extensions.

At the moment it suggest to add ExplicitNamespaces and LambdaCase

I invite all committee members to
 * nominate more extensions to add
 * bring arguments in favor of an extension
 * bring arguments against an extension

You can either add them directly (via suggested edits) to the proposal
text, or write them here and I’ll paraphrase them into that document,
to try to summarize the discussion well.

Once that phase seems concluded, I’ll invite you to vote. Not sure yet
how precisely, but we’ll vote in a way that one can also express that
no GHC2023 should happen.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de