[ghc-steering-committee] #547: Remove kind constraints, Recommendation: accept

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Tue Nov 22 09:31:41 UTC 2022

I'm not extremely worried about removing equality constraints in kinds
themselves, but I am slightly worried that this proposal will
unexpectedly prevent (existing) uses of GADTs with DataKinds. If I
understand correctly, this version of MkT will be usable in types:

   data T a where
     MkT :: Bool -> T Bool

but this will not (even though it could be rewritten to the former):

   data T a where
     MkT :: a ~ Bool => Bool -> T a

Moreover, this MkT not be usable in types at all:

   type family F a
   data T a where
     MkT :: F a ~ Bool => Bool -> T a

I suppose we can live with this in exchange for the gain in simplicity,
especially as there seems to be agreement that maintaining the feature
is simply too costly. But I would not be all that surprised if some
users' code breaks as a result.

Cheers,

Adam

https://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-steering-committee

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/

Registered in England & Wales, OC335890
27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England