[ghc-steering-committee] Any future plans for HasField redesign?

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Thu May 12 14:01:21 UTC 2022

Hi John,

(I'm not on the steering committee, but since you asked about HasField...)

The current status of the draft proposal to which you linked is that I'm
still planning to finish it off and open a discussion PR, but that it
needs spare time and dedicated attention, which is difficult to find!
I'm pretty happy with the general idea but the details need some work.
Hopefully I'll make progress on this at ZuriHac next month, but I don't
want to guarantee anything. If anyone would be willing to help finish
off the proposal, I'd be happy to chat.

An issue that is not discussed in the proposal, but which we may want to
reconsider, is that OverloadedRecordUpdate as currently envisaged is
fork-like: it changes the meaning of record update syntax but both the
traditional and overloaded forms have advantages. Thus it might be
sensible to have a distinct syntax for overloaded updates.

I've cleared the merge request milestone as it is no longer realistic to
get the implementation into 9.4.1.

All the best,

Adam

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/

Registered in England & Wales, OC335890
27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England