[ghc-steering-committee] Mind the gap

Richard Eisenberg lists at richarde.dev
Wed Jul 6 14:01:44 UTC 2022

> On Jul 6, 2022, at 8:00 AM, Chris Dornan <chris at chrisdornan.com> wrote:
>
> Richard are you satisfied that my example program is invalid under PolyKinds?

Yes. But I think as we've started to piece together, the real problem in this example is a missing superclass constraint on Typeable, not a fundamental shortcoming of PolyKinds. (I do acknowledge that extra polymorphism can introduce trouble, but given the fact that PolyKinds introduces parametric polymorphism -- unlike the ad hoc polymorphism of OverloadedStrings -- I think these cases should be rare.)

It would be interesting to see whether fixing Typeable in this way fixes other problems Chris has run into.