[ghc-steering-committee] Mind the gap

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 04:10:00 UTC 2022

Yeah, I'd just hesitate to turn it off by default, because GHC seems much
saner overall with PolyKinds on, at least in my experience. It may depend
on which packages/libraries you're often importing. I have a feeling that
the cases crop up when you import something that was defined using
PolyKinds, but your module is not compiled with PolyKinds and GHC then
fails to unify and then prints some nonsense that struggles to avoid
mentioning the polymorphically-kinded reality of things (iirc, it's even
said things along the lines of that it couldn't match type Foo with Foo). I
don't have an example handy right at the moment, but I've run into them
often enough in practice to recommend people just turn the extension on.