[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #270: Support pun-free code. Recommendation: accept

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Thu Dec 15 09:03:52 UTC 2022

I am so tempted to take this up — it just gets us right out of the doom loop that seems to be dogging this proposal, which I have come to think is incredibly valuable, as much for the analysis and insight the proposal has generated as for tools it proposes.

My only reservation is that I think it somewhat suboptimal to couple such diverse mechanisms as the warnings and import name spaces. However, if we do the follow up then we can recast the extension as primarily about warning and implying thew new cleaned-up namespace extension.

So the pragmatist in me says yes, let’s do it, provided the rest of the committee is OK with that.

If so I will organise the follow up — I will invite Artyom and, of course, I would love any input I can get from Adam and Richard and anyone else on the committee or elsewhere. (Getting Adam onto the committee was a major coup in my opinion — but I knew that already from elsewhere.)

In general I think it would be good if we could establish a precedent where the appointed shepherd is trusted to manage the process. Here we can see how multiple inputs into the managerial process are leading to compromises that could be compromising the technical outcome, just to escape ourselves (we hope it all work out in the end, of course). When it comes to technical matters, of course, everyone must have a veto but for organisational matters I think things will go much better if each person appointed to manage the process is left to it, unless a serious problem is seen, in which case a “have you considered this” would probably be in order.

Chris