[ghc-steering-committee] #512: NoFieldSelectors as datatype annotation, Recommendation: reject

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Thu Dec 8 17:01:05 UTC 2022

It seems to me that the only motivation for this proposal is for Template
Haskell generated code. So maybe we can imagine an alternative that is
purely in Template Haskell, without any syntax. Which would avoid the
concerns about parsing pragmas*. Maybe there is room, in this space, for a
generic mechanism, but I don't think that we'd need this: it makes sense to
let the Template Haskell slice decide if a record it defines generates
selectors or not.

That being said, I'm personally ok with the proposal as it stands, I think
it makes sense. But it's likely that a pure Template Haskell solution may
be both more forward compatible and easier to implement (at least, based on
Vlad estimate, who knows this part of the code, I'm inclined to believe
so). As there doesn't seem to be any particular motivation beyond Template
Haskell, I'd be ok if we made this counter-proposal.

I don't think counterargument 4 is something we can oppose: it is
theoretically possible to define the doppelgänger record in a separate
module, but we know it won't happen. Matt Parsons mentions the Esqueleto
library, it is obvious that the library will prefer using a silly name for
record fields  rather than ask its users to move definitions to another
module and the library will be right: it is less obnoxious.

All in all, I think that the proposal is quite reasonable, and would open
space in the design of Template-Haskell based libraries.

* For the record, I don't think that we can claim that pragmas can be
ignored semantically. The OVERLAPPING pragma is a counter-example. Maybe
more acutely: the LANGUAGE pragma. So I don't agree with counterargument 3.