[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #517: Require implementors before proposal submission, Shepherd: Simon PJ

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 23:02:20 UTC 2022

Dear committee,

See https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/517

Joachim suggests that a prerequisite for submitting a proposal to the
committee is that someone is offering to implement it.

   - This would avoid us spending precious cycles debating a proposal that
   no one is going to implement.
   - An offer of implementation cannot be binding, so it is something of a
   soft constraint.  (An author could cynically volunteer themselves, without
   having any intention of carrying through, but we expect better of the
   Haskell community.)
   - We should stress that nothing stops someone creating a proposal,
   making a PR, and debating it with the community, all without an
   implementor.  Only when it is submitted to the committee for review and
   approval is an implementor required.
   - Joachim suggests that this replaces the (never used) "Endorsements"
   section.

I wonder if a proposal that is accepted but not implemented (for whatever
reason) should be un-accepted after, say, a year.  That would provide some
incentive to get on with it; and the language context might be different by
then.

I suggest that we debate the principle first.  I have a few word-smithing
suggestions, but principles first!

On balance I recommend acceptance, with the above nuances clarified.

Simon