[ghc-steering-committee] GHC Steering Committee Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Apr 7 09:26:50 UTC 2022

Dear Committee,

it’s about time for my ~monthly~ quarterly status update

So what has happened since the last one?

 * We decided 7 proposals since then. That’s pretty good!

 * Simon suggested a better way to keep tabs on what’s going on, and
   you’ll find the second half of this mail at
   https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/wiki/Status

   As before, I still didn’t get around to mess with markdown tables etc…
   Maybe I just don’t feel the itch enough.

 * Membership changes!

   Alejandro has stepped down, Vitaly rotated out and Baldur and
   Chris joined.

   Bladur and Chris, you have been quite quiet here so far. Make
   yourself heard!

 * we were asked to review these proposals:

   #454: Custom type warnings (shepherd: Tom)
   #448: Modern Scoped Type Variables (shepherd: Arnaud)
   #270: Support pun-free code (resubmission; shepherd: Vitaly, later Chris)
   #475: New tuple and list syntax (resubmission; shepherd: Vlad)
   #277: Unicode ellipsis (shepherd: Joachim)

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:

   #460: migration plan for non-magical-~ (rec: accept)
   #451: sized literals (rec: accept)
   #454: Custom type warnings (rec: accept)
   #475: New tuple and list syntax (rec: accept)
   #277: Unicode ellipsis (rec: accept)
   #425: invisible binders in type decls (rec: accept)
   #448: Modern Scoped Type Variables (rec: mostly accept)

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision

   none, it seems

 * we decided about the following proposals

   #319: NoFallibleDo (reject)
   #392: Clarify modifiers design principle (accept)
   #460: migration plan for non-magical-~ (accept)
   #475: New tuple and list syntax (accept)
   #277: Unicode ellipsis (accept)
   #452: Articulate principles for GHC evolution (accept)
   #425: invisible binders in type declarations (accept)

We currently have to act on the following 4 proposals, down by 2 since last update:

## Waiting for committee decision

#451: Sized Literals, Shepherd: Simon M.
      2022-01-11: Recommendation to accept by Simon
      Simon asked the committee for the color of the shed!
      Please all weigh in!

#454: Custom type warnings, Shepherd: Tom
      2022-01-13: Recommendation to accept
      There was contention (by Vlad) if the possible performance
      impact is too bad, with a bit of active discussion on Github

#448: Modern Scoped Type Variables, Shepherd: Arnaud
      2022-03-29: Arnaud makes a non-comprehensive recommendation
      Ongoing discussion about which parts should be accepted and
      which not (yet). Thanks Arnaud, for guiding the discussion.

## Waiting for Shepherd action

#270: Support pun-free code, Shepherd: Chris
      2022-01-01: Assigned to Chris

  mail at joachim-breitner.de