[ghc-steering-committee] Modern Scoped Type Variables #448: recommendation (mostly) accept

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 13:43:35 UTC 2022

That all sounds reasonable to me. I suggest:

* Let's mention in the proposal that ExtendedForAllScope exists for legacy
reasons and that we intend to recommend TypeAbstractions as the canonical
way to bind type variables in the future (is that the right wording? we're
not ready to actually recommend it yet?).
* When this is implemented, let's have wording to the same effect in the
manual. Someone writing new code would want to know which way is likely to
be the more future-proof alternative.

> Complicating this story is that some users (including me, at times) wish
for GHC to do less for us: we would prefer not to have implicit foralls or
to permit pattern-signature bindings. However, I suppose this desire could
be accommodated by warnings and -Werror instead of language extensions.

Definitely - warnings and/or HLint for stylistic choices is the right way
to do it.

Cheers
Simon