[ghc-steering-committee] Modern Scoped Type Variables #448: recommendation (mostly) accept

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 07:26:58 UTC 2022

In the spirit of not accepting proposals that lead to language forks, it
would be great to get some clarification on the concerns that Arnaud raises
here:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 16:02, Spiwack, Arnaud <arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io>
wrote:

> With the caveat that this proposal introduces quite a few extensions. And
> at this point, I'm still not quite sure what Richard recommends is the set
> of extensions that I should use (and I'm slightly dismayed that I believe
> that it will be a set of cardinal more than 1). I think this reflects a
> vision of extensions as switches to customise the behaviour of GHC. This
> vision, as I've stated before, is very alien to me: I see extensions as
> staging areas for features to become an integral part of Haskell. So I
> don't know what to think of all these extensions. I'm definitely not
> against splitting -XScopedTypeVariables into smaller components, if it is
> done so that they are reassembled in a different way in an alternative
> extension that would now be the recommended default (or at least is to
> become the next recommended default).

I think we should express an opinion about the intended direction. Are we
advising that ExtendedForallScope is a dead end, because we want
TypeAbstraction?

Cheers
Simon