[ghc-steering-committee] Visible forall: 3-Year Anniversary

Vladislav Zavialov (int-index) vlad.z.4096 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 20:36:53 UTC 2021

Dear GHC Steering Committee,

Today (10 Oct, 2021) marks three years since the pull request for the #281 “Visible forall” proposal was opened.

	https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/281

There has been a lot of discussion, which led to numerous refinements and improvements to the proposal text and its content.

When the initial version of the proposal was written, it wasn’t clear if this feature would be a good addition to Haskell. But now that #378 “Design for dependent types” has been accepted, the job of #281 “Visible forall” is merely to elaborate the details of a design that we already agreed on.

Because of its reduced scope, I hope there won’t be a 4th anniversary. So I invite everyone to take a look at the current iteration of the proposal and vote on it.

The proposal text is at: https://github.com/int-index/ghc-proposals/blob/visible-forall/proposals/0000-visible-forall.rst

- Vlad