[ghc-steering-committee] #283: Local modules (again), recommendation: accept

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Thu Oct 7 07:52:31 UTC 2021

Dear all,

First sorry I'm a bit late on this, life got in the way.

I've got opinions from both Simons, Tom, and Alejandro. Eric, Joachim,
Vitaly, Vlad what do you think about all this?

---

If I were to summarise the discussion as I understand it, the major point
of discussion is the difference between local modules (which are pure
name-spacing entities) and global/top-level modules (which are compilation
units, hence can appear in import statements for dependency management).
Simon PJ has argued (in an off-band conversation with Richard and I) to
embrace the difference more, though in many places in the proposal, these
two kind of modules are used the same way, hence deserving the common name
of “module”. Simon Marlow is worried that the lack of distinction between
global module addressing and local module addressing in `A.B.C.x` can be
confusing (is `A.B` a global module, or is `A` the global module and `B.C`
the local module?).

(I'd personally argue, regarding this latter point, that it doesn't matter.
By the time we are able to name `A.B.C.x` in a file, global modules may
have been renamed, so we have changed a name representing a compilation
unit into a namespace, which may or may not be identical. The proposal
don't treat the two situations differently at all)

Another point of discussion which hasn't appeared on this list but has been
raised in the Github thread, is that the current proposal goes to great
length to make exporting `module M` more or less compatible with the
current behaviour giving it a very different semantic to exporting `module
qualified M` (these are currently items 4.iv, 4.v, and 4.vi in the
specification section of the proposal). Note that is not fully backwards
compatible and even with existing module can export more stuff. The
question is whether it is worth trying to match the existing behaviour of
`module M`, or whether a simpler notion which is in line with the behaviour
of `module qualified M` would be preferable.

Over to you :-)

/Arnaud