[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #281: Visible "forall" in terms; rec: accept

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat May 29 11:15:28 UTC 2021

I support the goal of this proposal; indeed I would immediately use it in
several places that I can think of off the top of my head.

But the name resolution aspects concern me. I forsee a lot of confusion if
we can't write `[Int]` as a type argument with the usual meaning. The error
message is likely to be super confusing if it has to talk about the
difference between a promoted list type and the usual list type
constructor, which have the same syntax. I'm not a fan of having to write
`List Int` when it's a visible type argument, but `[Int]` everywhere else.

Would it be possible to require the leading quote to get the promoted
meaning, otherwise defaulting to the usual meaning of `[Int]`?

Also could we defer name resolution until type checking for things like
`Proxy`, so that the obvious thing doesn't require namespace gymnastics?

Cheers
Simon