[ghc-steering-committee] #409: Exportable named defaults, Recommendation: Partial Accept

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Wed May 19 20:52:52 UTC 2021

> On May 19, 2021, at 2:46 PM, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
>
> we could rename it to “no-decision-needed” or something like that?

Well, it depends on the subject. If someone posts a proposal describing a new field in a cabal file, that's out of scope. But somehow this plugin suggestion is different: it solves the kind of problem that other proposals solve, but the solution just happens not to fit the usual format (and is beyond our purview). So maybe we have both "no approval needed" and "out of scope", and apply them in the two different situations.

All that said, I'd rather not derail this thread further: I'm still keen on figuring out whether Mario's proposal is a better way forward than using a plugin. My instinct -- especially in light of Joachim's questions earlier, which will need answers -- is that a plugin is a lower-stakes way forward. If we support the plugin architecture and we gain experience in light of it, we can consider adding a proper language feature.