[ghc-steering-committee] #403: Cleanup lexical structure, recommendation: accept

Vladislav Zavialov (int-index) vlad.z.4096 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 14:26:18 UTC 2021

I’m in favor of the proposal, but there’s something I don’t entirely understand. We are about to double down on a deviation from the Haskell 2010 report, with no way to turn it off. Such deviations are typically documented in the “Known bugs and infelicities” section of the User’s Guide.

And yet this is not a bug, it’s a feature, driven by user requests (the proposal even goes as far as to cite the tickets).

So, where will the new canonical lexical grammar live? Where do we point our users to when they try to figure out what’s allowed in identifiers/literals and what isn't?

- Vlad