[ghc-steering-committee] Recommendation: reject #367 (was: Re: Please review #367: Clarify primops using unboxed sums, Shepherd: Simon Marlow)

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 15:51:45 UTC 2021

Committee,

Proposal #367 suggests using unboxed sums for the results of 7 (seven)
primops that use sum types but currently have to encode those explicitly
using `Int#`.

https://github.com/treeowl/ghc-proposals/blob/unboxed-sum-primops/proposals/0000-unboxed-sum-primops.md

The proposal is arguably the right thing, however I'm suggesting we reject
it for the following reasons:

   1. The implementations of the primops would bake in the translation of
   unboxed sums. Right now our unboxed sum translation is defined in one place
   - CorePrep - but this proposal would leak it into the implementations of a
   few primops.
   2. Migration would entail adding a backwards-compatibility layer, with
   the associated complexity and risk of performance regressions.
   3. While the current situation is perhaps inelegant, it's not broken and
   it's easy to understand.

Thoughts?

Simon