[ghc-steering-committee] Modification to record dot syntax propsal

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Mon Mar 1 09:40:02 UTC 2021

Simon, all,

After reading more of the PR thread (in particular the fews posts after
Simon's recommendation), I have to admit: I am thoroughly confused. I'm not
sure that two people in that thread have the same motivation, end goal, or
design in mind.

The motivations provided by the modified *Alternatives* section is not much
more helpful (at the risk of caricaturing a little, it basically reads: “we
made two extensions rather than one because we can”). Though it makes it
clear that the end goal is to fold a bunch of record-related extensions
into one glorious record extension (well, probably not fold them, but make
a meta-extension that implies all the extensions that we've decided we
like).

My starting point is that:
- Additional extensions have a maintenance cost
- Additional extensions impose a cognitive burden on their use
- I expect that a new extension will break my code in the next few releases.

Based on this, I don't care how this extension or the glorious record
extension are named; but if we want to have two extensions we should have a
serious reason. Right now, the one reason that I see (and Iavor raised), is
that the update part of `RecordDotSyntax` is not backward compatible. Is it
a strong enough reason? I don't know. The only data point that I can
provide is that when we discussed the original proposal, I brought it up
several times, and it didn't seem very important at the time (the
conversation focused on other points of the proposal).

So, I'm still reluctant. I feel that, at the very least, the motivations
are not well-enough articulated in the proposal (I'll make a comment to
this effect on Github when I'm done composing this email).

I appreciate that I'm in the minority here. Yet, I'm still unconvinced.

Best,
Arnaud