[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #302: `\of` (New Shepherd: Simon PJ)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Jun 11 15:19:29 UTC 2021

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 27.10.2020, 18:52 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Am Donnerstag, den 17.09.2020, 15:22 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones
> via ghc-steering-committee:
> > If it was re-cast as \mcase, which is just like \case but allows n-
> > ary functions, I’d find it quite acceptable.  The two then become
> > extremely close, so there’s a very low cognitive load.
> >
> > GHC’s internals already allow this, and it seems surprisingly non-
> > orthogonal that the source language does not.
> >
> > We could kill off MultiWayIf.
> >
> > But I don’t feel strongly.  If a consensus does not emerge, maybe
> > we should just vote.
>
> Cale, as the shepherd, could you lead us here to a resolution? I see
> many voices in favor of rejection, but not really consensus yet.

I’d like to reassing shepherding of this one.

It seems to be clear that we want “something like this”, there are many
ways to skin the cat, so it comes down to opinion and what we need is a
decision (or a call to votes). As with anything that’s possibly quite
opinionated, it’s good to have an authorative voice, so in this case,
Simon PJ.

Simon, can you either come up with a “all things considered, I
think this variant is the (narrowly) the best” recommendation or,
alternative, a “please vote on the following options” verdict?

  mail at joachim-breitner.de