[ghc-steering-committee] #283: Local modules (again), recommendation: accept

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Tue Jul 27 03:08:53 UTC 2021

> On Jul 26, 2021, at 5:38 PM, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Alas it leaves me even more confused.

Somehow I knew you'd say that.

> Now there are three concepts in play
> local module
> top-level module
> compilation unit
> I think that perhaps top-level module = compilation unit.

A compilation unit is a chunk of Haskell code which is considered all at once, producing one .o file. Currently, compilation units are coincident both with files on disk and modules. This proposal allows us to have modules smaller than a compilation unit, but Haskell has a restriction that a compilation unit (= file on disk) contains precisely one module (which may contain others), as well as a restriction about where `import` statements appear.

This little part, starting with "another way to think about this" is meant to provide intuition, if you're already familiar with compilation units. It is separate from the points above -- and is just meant to guide intuition. (For example, I have not properly defined "compilation unit".) If it does not connect with you, skip. Instead, look at the three differences between top-level modules and local modules a little further up, and see that this distinction is very superficial.

Richard