[ghc-steering-committee] #283: Local modules (again), recommendation: accept

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 26 21:57:21 UTC 2021

One idea could be a new import item `import module M impspec` which behaves just like `module M impspec`, but without the use of `qualify` in its interpretation. In code:

Not so great in cases where
              import Graphics
imports Button.open and Widget.open

If you qualify, thus
              import Graphics as G
then you want G.Button.open and G.Widget.open.  You really don't want to strip off the carefully added Button and Widget qualifiers.

To be more explicit, I guess you could say
              import Graphics( Buttton.*, Widget.* )
or perhaps more Haskell-y
              import Graphics( module Button, module Widget )
and indeed I believe the proposal supports precisely that.

Currently, if I see an identifier "M.x", I can search for "M" and be sure to find it in the import list somewhere, either as "import M" or "import X as M".

Yes, that's convenient.  But it would also be convenient if, which I see an identifier "x", I could always see where it is imported from.  But sadly I can't - and I often find myself guessing.  So it's not a new shortcoming of this proposal.

One could imagine a new flag,  ExplicitBinders, whose principle is that it is easy to determine from every occurrence which import(s) brings it into scope.   For an unqualified "x" that would mean you'd have to

  *   either import "x" explicitly,  import M(x)
  *   or change the occurrence to a qualified M.x
That might be a good software engineering practice to follow.  Then you could extend the same treatment to this new proposal.

Simon