[ghc-steering-committee] Voting on the Simons

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Jan 26 09:55:47 UTC 2021

Hi

> > Simons:
> > Do you want to stay on the committee?

Am Dienstag, den 26.01.2021, 09:35 +0000 schrieb Simon Marlow:

> Yes please, if you'll still have me :)

Thanks! The bylaws indicate

> If either wishes to continue serving on the committee when their

terms end, and if the majority of the rest of the committee supports
> this outcome, no public nomination process needs to take place to
> replace them.

It doesn’t say whether the vote is public or private,
but it is customary to hold votes about people in private. In
particular, the person voted on should not see the votes.

Therefore I invite everyone to send their vote to me by direct mail.
Please indicate for both Simons whether you support them continuing.
Sim
ons: I guess you get to vote on each other.

Once I have enough votes to determine the outcome, I will announce it
here (anonymously, i.e. just he tally).

I also assume that “rest of the committee” includes the expiring
members, because why not.

The bylaws are not fully clear on whether this vote extends their term
just until the next nomination round, or by another three years. But if
one understands this as a short-cut through the full re-nomination
process, then I conclude it means a new three year term starts for
them.

(Is this process a bit silly? But I guess a bit of ceremony is good.)

BTW, still looking for a volunteer to run the main nomination process.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de