[ghc-steering-committee] Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Jan 13 22:14:22 UTC 2021

Dear Committee,

after 2½ months, time for a new status updates. What was going on here?

 * Well, GHC2021 was going on. Lots of it. But it’s actually coming to a close
   in five days. It will be exciting to see how it affects the Haskell
   landscapes.

 * Heh, last status I wrote:

   Richard refines the bylaws in #360. Maybe everybody has a second
   look now and then we can merge this?

   I guess that still applies. Richard and I are discussing a corner case
   on the PR, but otherwise approvals are coming in, and unless that changes,
   we’ll merge that once we ironed out that wrinkle.

 * Simon introduced the position of a nudger, namely Tom.

   Tom, below are some PRs where you might need to nudge someone!

 * we were asked to review these proposals:
   #366: DuplicateRecordFields without ambiguous field access, shepherd: Tom
   #242: Unsaturated type families, Shepherd: Richard Eisenberg
   #370: Syntax for Modifiers, Shepherd: Alejandro
   #387: The Char kind, Shepherd: Alejandro
   #368: Warn on prefix/suffix operators, Shepherd: Tom
   #381: Visible 'forall' in types of terms, Shepherd: Iavor

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:
   #369: Add sumToTag# primop, (rec: accept)
   #366: DuplicateRecordFields without ambiguous field access (rec: accept)
   #381: Visible 'forall' in types of terms (rec: reject)
   #242: Unsaturated type families (rec: accept)
   #313: Delimited continuation primops (rec: accept)
   #370: Syntax for Modifiers (rec: accept)
   #387: The Char kind (rec: accept)

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision
   #283: Local modules

 * we decided about the following proposals
   #366: DuplicateRecordFields without ambiguous field access (accept)
   #370: Syntax for Modifiers (accept)
   #242: Unsaturated type families (accept)

In addition to the two meta-proposals (bylaws and GHC2021), we
currently have to act on the following 7 proposals, up by 2!
Some need some nudging.

## Waiting for committee decision

#387: The Char kind, Shepherd: Alejandro
      Looks like it’ll be smoothly accepted, but it’s only a week old.
      Will maybe merge in a few days.

#381: Visible 'forall' in types of terms, Shepherd: Iavor
      Recommendation was to reject, but discussion went into the more
      abstract “whither dependent Haskell”. But what does this mean
      for this proposal?

#369: Add sumToTag# primop
      Essentially accepted, waiting for feedback from the author on final tweaks

#313: Delimited continuation primops, Shepherd: Simon Marlow
      Mostly positive reception, but there was discussion.
      Simon, can this be accepted as it, or does it need more work/time/discussion?

#302: \of, Shepherd: Cale
      No new discussion. Cale, what is the conclusion?

## Waiting for Shepherd action

#367: Clarify primops using unboxed sums, Shepherd: Simon Marlow
      This is aging… we need a shepherd recommendation

#368: Warn on prefix/suffix operators, Shepherd: Tom
      Tom, your turn

  mail at joachim-breitner.de