[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Principal Component Analysis

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Mon Jan 11 03:53:16 UTC 2021

I think a bit of unresolved discussion here is the question of whether it is the intended fate of extensions to become on-by-default, or whether we expect some extensions to stay on as a way of forcing users to opt in. In this light, my proximity to Iavor is not that surprising, as I believe we both think that some extensions are best kept as extensions. On the other hand, I believe Arnaud (joined by Simon Marlow, if I recall) has advocated most strongly that each extension should either graduate to be on-by-default or has somehow failed to pass muster. (I won't quite say that it should be removed.) This is an interesting philosophical discussion, and I think it would be good to continue, but perhaps after this round is complete.

Thanks for the analysis!

Richard