[ghc-steering-committee] GHC Steering Committee Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Dec 15 21:05:23 UTC 2021

Dear Committee,

I hope you all had a lovely fall. Three months since the last status
mail! High time for a new one.

So what has happened since the last one?

 * Simon suggested a better way to keep tabs on what’s going on, and
   you’ll find the second have of this mail at
   https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/wiki/Status

   I still didn’t get around to mess with markdown tables etc… sorry.
   If someone feels inspired for how that wiki page would look better,
   ideally with markup that I can easily edit and include in this
   email, suggestions are welcome.

 * Alejandro announced to step down once through with his currently
   shepherded proposals.

 * We decided to not define GHC2022.

 * we were asked to review these proposals:

   #433: the Unsatisfiable constraint
   #452: Articulate principles for GHC evolution
   #451: Sized literals proposal
   #460: migration plan for non-magical-~

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:

   #400: COMPLETE set signatures; rec: accept
   #425: invisible binders in type declarations; rec: accept
   #433: the Unsatisfiable constraint; recommendation: accept

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision

   #412: Explicit Splice Imports
   #400: COMPLETE set signatures
   #283: Local modules

 * we decided about the following proposals

   #302: Multiway lambda (accept)
   #409: Exportable named defaults (accept)
   #281: Visible "forall" in terms (accept)
   #433: the Unsatisfiable constraint; recommendation: accept

We currently have to act on the following 6 proposals, down by 3:

## Waiting for committee decision

#452: Articulate principles for GHC evolution (Shepherd: SPJ)
      2021-12-15: Ongoing discussion, heading for acceptance

#425: Invisible binders in type declarations, Shepherd: Richard
      2021-10-19: Recommendation to accept

#392: Clarify modifiers design principle (Shepherd: Alejandro)
      2021-07-23: Alejandro asked for more eyes.
      Discussion about grammar and compatibility with #390 open
      Richard posted last. Please follow up!

#319: NoFallibleDo, Shepherd: Alejandro
      2021-07-23: Rejection recommended
      Continued silence since the last update.
      Committee comments please?

## Waiting for Shepherd action

#451: Sized Literals, Shepherd: Simon M.
      2021-11-19: Assigned to Simon M.
      Simon, what do you think of this?

#460: migration plan for non-magical-~, Shepherd: Richard
      2021-12-15: Assigned to Richard

  mail at joachim-breitner.de