[ghc-steering-committee] GHC 2020

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Oct 26 15:37:12 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Montag, den 19.10.2020, 15:40 +0200 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Hi,
>
> >    The reason I'm willing is because I believe that the community really
> >    wants it -- but I'd love to have evidence for that belief. This
> >    discussion is taking place on the GHC committee mailing list to which
> >    the community more broadly can't easily contribute. I'd love to ask
> >    them more explicitly, or even take a poll.
>
> Well, let’s see :-)
> https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/je1t82/does_the_idea_of_xghc2021_excite_you/

a week later, we have

862 votes
655 76.0% 🤩 Oh yes yes, please! I’m so eager to use that!
127 14.7% 🙂 Sounds good I guess? I won’t use it myself, but still a good idea.
65   7.5% 🤷 Shrug, I woudn’t care.
15   1.7% 🤮 Please no, this is a horrible idea!

I think that counts as a community mandate.

Do any of you want to weigh in more on the formulation of criteria and
process at https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/372?

Note in particular this line – that was the idea, wasn't it?

   When ghc is used without an explicit language choice, the latest
   GHC20xx known to GHC is used. This applies in particular to uses of
   ghci.

If no discussion arises, I’ll formally submit this soon. Is the usual
“looks like nobody complains so we have consensus” enough, or do we
want a proper vote on this? Note that this doesn't really set anything
in stone, and we can fine-tune the process as we go.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de