[ghc-steering-committee] GHC 2020

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Oct 19 13:43:38 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Montag, den 19.10.2020, 13:33 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones via
ghc-steering-committee:
> Finally, I'm not at all tied to having a yearly process. If you think 2 or 3 years would be enough
>
> If we are conducting a poll, we could poll for that too.

guess I was too fast, just started a poll on reddit before seeing your
message, with essentially only

> 1.  Should we have a GHCxxx mechanism at all?   (Point to rationale.)   (yes: definitely … no: counterproductive)
> Give reasons for your response (open text box); including whether this is your personal opinion, or whether you are speaking for a company that uses Haskell in production

and not the others. But this is really just a quick vote to guage
interest, not Google Forms-style poll to get actual feedback; guess we
can do that once we got people excited.

> 2. If we had such a mechanism, how often should we run it? (1,2,3, yrs)
>                 Give reasons…

Do we really need to know that now? Why not create the first one, let
people use it, and then poll “do you want the next revision soon or not
so soon”?

> 3. If we had GHC 2020, which extensions should be in it (offer a
> radio-button list of the plausible candidates)

I’d hold that polling back until we have decided

 * We want do to GHC2021
 * Have a process in place
 * Such a community vote has a place in the process

  mail at joachim-breitner.de