[ghc-steering-committee] GHC 2020

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Thu Oct 1 08:13:04 UTC 2020

Some comments:

In general, I want to argue that we don't generally need all 5 criteria to
be met, it's just that violation of a criterion means arguing harder for
inclusion.

> EmptyCase: \x -> case x of {} is strict in x. This is an exception to the
general rule for case expressions, which are otherwise lazy (unless a
pattern-match forces evaluation, of course).

It's one way to look at it, certainly. But we could just as well say that
`case` is usually strict, except for variables, wildcard, and explicitly
lazy patterns. I'd guess most Haskell programmers see `case` as the
prototypical strict thing. I don't think `EmptyCase` deserves to be
considered a violation of 2 nor 3.

`AllowAmbiguousType` probably deserves a violation of criterion 2, though
(new, difficult to debug failure modes). So do `UndecidableInstance` and
`UndecidableSuperclass`.