[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Voting starts

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Wed Nov 25 12:01:28 UTC 2020

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 12:43 PM Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks! I’ll update the tally later today.
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 25.11.2020, 12:20 +0100 schrieb Spiwack, Arnaud:
> > UnicodeSyntax: maybe
> >     ^ I think it changes error messages. I don't think that we can
> >     make error messages in Unicode by default. If it only affects
> >     parsing, then I'm in favour.
>
> That is my sentiment as well, and I would phrase my vote as:
>
>   GHC2021 implies UnicodeSyntax, but not -fprint-unicode-syntax.
>   Enabling UnicodeSyntax explicitly may still imply -fprint-unicode-syntax.
>
> I guess the details of how GHC formats its messages are not strictly
> our authority, so I didn't spell this out, but yes: it helps to paint
> the picture here more clearly.
>
> > InstanceSigs: no
> >   -- ^ It does feel mostly innocuous on the surface, but it has a
> >   probably surprising semantics. Considering that it's quite rarely
> >   used, probably better left out.
>
> Interesting, I don’t see a mention of this on
>
> https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/glasgow_exts.html#extension-InstanceSigs
> Can you elaborate?

I'm referring to:
> The type signature in the instance declaration must be more polymorphic
than (or the same as) the one in the class declaration, instantiated with
the instance type.

I may be overly conservative here, to be honest. But I'm just a tad
hesitant. I should probably have written “a tad hesistant” instead of “no”,
though. But this is a long list of extensions, and I was getting tired :) .

Also thanks for looking up which extensions are already in GHC,
> Haskell2010 and are deprecated. I should indicate that in the table
> somehow (or simply drop them from the ballot, at least the deprecated
> ones).

 I don't claim exhaustiveness there. Nor am I 100% sure about correctness.
For instance, I'm pretty sure that n+k patterns are considered deprecated,
but the documentation doesn't reflect it. I still stored it in the
deprecated section as there is basically no way that we turn this one on by
default again.