[ghc-steering-committee] GHC 20xx process

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Nov 13 16:46:55 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am not worried; this is a process outline, not a constitution. It’s
enough for us to now say “yes, let’s try this” (which implies “if it
goes badly, we’ll reconsider”) and just give it a try!

We could replace

> After these four weeks, the proposal with the current
tally gets
> accepted by the secretary, and defines GHC20xx

with

> After these four weeks, the proposal with the current tally gets,
> as
a whole, voted on by the committee.

Is that your intention?

Im inclined
to be optimistic and hope that the process will lead to a result that
does no need another vote. But I also think that if, at that time, you
or anyone else on the committee says “hold a moment, this doesn’t feel
right, can we have a final vote”, neither or nor the Chairs will deny
that wish.

As to how much discussion we have in phase two – again noting to worry
about now. The mailing list will not be suddenly moderated, and if
discussion comes up and turns out to be productive and fruitful, nobody
will stop it.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de