[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #303: Constraint based arrow notation, Shepherd: Alejandro

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Fri May 15 07:01:43 UTC 2020

Dear Committee,
This proposal looks good to me. The author has done a lot of work to
formalize the new rules, and has done a check that no packages using arrow
syntax would be broken by this modification. Thus, I recommend we accept
this proposal.

Apart from the general discussion, I think it might be worth focusing on a
specific part of the design: the use of a couple of type families to
express "arrow stacks". I am not aware of other GHC extensions depending on
particular type families.
- As the author discusses, these type families ought to be wired-in, so
they can benefit from improvement during type checking. Is this a good
choice? It looks to be, but other may have a different opinion.
- Would this type family pose a problem for optimization / specialization /
...?

Kind regards,
Alejandro