[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #319: NoFallibleDo proposal, Shepherd: Eric Seidel

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Wed May 13 20:19:24 UTC 2020

Hi all,

My wife and I just checked into the hospital to have our second child, so I’m going to be short on time for committee duties for a few weeks. I think it would be best to reassign this proposal so we don’t keep the authors waiting.

I reviewed the proposal over the weekend and left some thoughts on GitHub. I’m supportive of the direction — partial patterns in do-notation are more consistent with the rest of the language — but I thought it would be a stronger proposal if we had a syntax for controlling the failure behavior. This would give people who currently rely on the MonadFail desugaring a cleaner migration path. John has another proposal (#327 iirc) exploring how that syntax might look, I suggested building on top of that proposal or combining the two.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone